Safety and Medical Conditions
There are no doctors or nurses on staff at Ayahuasca Satsangha. Ayahuasca Satsangha is not a medical facility. We do not provide medical care nor advice.
While ayahuasca is generally safe for healthy adults there are some medical conditions and medications that do not mix well with ayahuasca.
Medications and Supplements
Several medications and supplements, including but not limited to MAO inhibiting medications, SSRIs, and/or anti-depressants (including St John’s Wort), and other medications should not be taken with ayahuasca. They can be quite dangerous to mix these with ayahuasca and can even be fatal.
At Ayahuasca Satsangha guests are not allowed to take any sort of medications, vitamins, or supplements while on retreat. Because of this, if you cannot safely stop taking any sort of medication for the duration of the trip you will not be allowed to participate in any retreats. If you are taking something prescribed by a doctor, you will need to talk with your doctor about weaning you off of your medications in time for your visit. Depending on the medication, we require 2-4 weeks of no medications in your system.
For your safety, people with the following health conditions will not be able to visit Ayahuasca Satsangha and should not drink ayahuasca:
- High blood pressure
- Diabetes including “low blood sugar” and “hypoglycemia”
- Schizophrenic disorder
- Heart disease or any current/past issues relating to heart problems
- Epilepsy and other seizure related conditions
- Infectious or contagious disease
- Suicidal ideation
- Someone taking MAO inhibitors or anti psychotic medication
- Mental Illness: If you are being treated for mental illness, you must talk with your doctor as to the use of ayahuasca. If your doctor approves, you must stop taking any anti depressants or mood altering medications at least 2 weeks prior to visiting La Familia Medicina.
- Tobacco Sensitivity: Tobacco is an important part of Amazonian shamanism and it is frequently used by the maestros during ceremony. If you have a hyper sensitivity to tobacco smoke, let us know prior to booking your trip.
It is imperative and your responsibility that you let us know if you are on any medication, have any serious health problems, infectious or contagious disease prior to booking your visit with Ayahuasca Satsangha.
Please contact us with questions regarding our health and medication policies at email@example.com All conversations about your medical conditions and history are completely confidential.
Got a Question About Health Risks and Medications?
If you have any questions relating to this page, simply fill in the form below